- Currently studying BM, Composition at the Juilliard School. Studied with Pulitzer Prize winning composers Christopher Rouse amd Melinda Wagner.
- BMI Screen Scoring Masterclass Mentee.
- ASCAP NYU Screen Scoring Materclass Mentee, studied with Harry Gregson-Williams, Blake Neely and Lyle Workman.
- 15 years of violin training experience, studied privately with Philip Heyman, (Principal Viola of the Welsh National Opera Orchestra).
- After growing up in Wales, UK, I decided to move to NYC in 2018 to pursue my degree in music composition at the Juilliard School. I was appointed to a Juilliard teaching fellow in 2020 and have taught a range of incredible students. I am excited to share my new approaches to composition for the concert hall an media worlds including music production techniques and film scoring. Along with my passion for composition, I trained for 15 years as a violinist and led many orchestras back home in the UK. I have taught violin and composition to students of all ages from a range of backgrounds, including mentoring orchestral musicians. I strive to teach with a unique and personal method that centers around the student’s own needs, personalities and goals. I love nothing more than a student who enjoys music – my aim is to help them realize their potential whilst remembering that creativity is fun!
Katie J. is an multi award winning Welsh composer, now based in New York City. She is also an active recording artist and features regularly as vocalist and violinist on her owntracks. Katie’s music has been performed across Europe and the US, including performances at National Sawdust Brooklyn where she held a fellowship, The Juilliard School, The Curtis Institute of Music and The Wales Millennium Centre.
Katie is a 2021, Artist in Residence with the Dordor Gallery, Brooklyn. Her multimedia piece was featured in Vogue Italia, March 2021 edition. Her most recent collaboration includes a commission for members of the Ensemble Intercontemporain. The piece will premier in Paris, May 2021. Katie was also the winner of the 2020 and 2021 International Piano Composition Competition, Smederevo, Serbia and a masterclass participant on BMI’sComposing for Screen Masterclass in the fall of 2020. Her trumpet sonata, Radiate, won theGrand Prize in the WCFT International Women’s Brass festival competition, 2020.
Katie currently holds the Henry Mancini Fellowship at Juilliard and acts as a teaching fellow at the Center for Innovation of the Arts at Juilliard where she coaches composition for Film, TV and Media. Katie is thrilled to bring her music to the wider community through coachings and private lessons.