- Graduated with a BM, Composition from The Juilliard School in 2022. Studied with Pulitzer Prize winning composers Christopher Rouse amd Melinda Wagner.
- Current graduate student at The Juilliard School; teaching fellow for Music Production/Film Scoring Department
- BMI Screen Scoring Masterclass Mentee.
- ASCAP NYU Screen Scoring Materclass Mentee.
- 15 years of violin and piano training experience, studied privately with Philip Heyman, (Principal Viola of the Welsh National Opera Orchestra).
- After growing up in Wales, UK, I decided to move to NYC in 2018 to pursue my degree in music composition at the Juilliard School. I was appointed to a Juilliard teaching fellow in 2020 and have taught a range of incredible students. I am excited to share my new approaches to composition for the concert hall an media worlds including music production techniques and film scoring. Along with my passion for composition, I trained for 15 years as a violinist and led many orchestras back home in the UK. I have taught violin and composition to students of all ages from a range of backgrounds, including mentoring orchestral musicians. I strive to teach with a unique and personal method that centers around the student’s own needs, personalities and goals. I love nothing more than a student who enjoys music – my aim is to help them realize their potential whilst remembering that creativity is fun!
Katie J. s is a multi award-winning Welsh composer, producer, vocalist and entrepreneur now based in New York City. Katie’s most recent accolades include winning the Grand Prize in both the International Women’s Brass Festival: WCFT Competition; the EXPO:New Works Competition in 2021, the Composer’s Cordance Generations XI: New Music for Jazz Septet in 2022, and the LunArt Festival in 2022. She was granted the New York Federation of Music Clubs Israel Prize in 2021 and won the 8th International Piano Competition Smederevo in 2020. Katie most recently placed 3rd in the 13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio 2022 for her solo piano work, ‘Cerddoriaeth i Bronwyn’, dedicated to pianist Bronwyn Schuman.
Katie’s music has been performed across Europe and the US, including performances at DiMenna Center, National Sawdust, The Juilliard School, The Curtis Institute of Music, BBC Hoddinott Hall and music festivals in Bulgaria and Serbia. Katie was a 2021 Artist in Residence with the Dordor Gallery in Brooklyn. Her work was featured in Vogue Italia in the March 2021 Edition. Her work also has been published by industry leading publishers; Hal Leonard and Murphy Music Press.
She has provided music for numerous prestigious institutions such as The United Nations 2020 and Ensemble Intercontemporain in 2021. Her music has been used by many filmmakers, including festival success at the Berlin Film Festival and New York International Award in 2021. Katie completed a project for the New York Choreographic Institute affiliate of the New York City Ballet in February of 2022. She has recently been preparing for her upcoming collaboration with fashion designer Terrence Zhou; premiering their collection at New York Fashion Week in the fall of 2022.
As a mix engineer, Katie’s latest project included working on a global initiative run by The Female Quotient in collaboration with composer and multi- instrumentalist Shelbie Rassler, creating music for the world’s largest virtual dinner party of 150,000 women!
She is a 2022 graduate of the Juilliard School where she held the Henry Mancini Fellowship. She has returned to Juilliard where she is currently completing her Masters degree as well as coaching film scoring and music production in the music technology center.
Book a lesson with Katie